Wednesday, February 20, 2019

A Quick Valentines Day Project



I had a hunk of Apricot that I got from a downed tree. Its been drying for quite a while and I decided it needed a home.

This potpourri vessel was made for my wife on Valentines day. The insert came from Woodcraft.


This blank had nice figure and a small crack that I stabilized with super glue and some wood dust.
The lip was turned to accept the insert keeping it slightly above the surface.
The bottom was turned flat.
Apricot is an extremely hard wood but finished nicely
I held the blank from the bottom with a dovetail recess.
 I later removed the recess and added my traditional ring and signature




I wanted to try out my new carbide tools on hardwood. I wasn't that impressed with how they cut on a previous project but in this application they worked well. On the inside I got to a nice finish that only needed some touch-up sanding.


On the outside I still needed a better finish after using the carbide tools. Brought in the scraper for the final surface. Very little sanding need on this project.

I also tried out a new POV using my new overhead camera setup.

I used an oil finish to preserve the satin look of real wood.

Donate

If you enjoyed this project/post or my blog consider donating which funds more tool and materials.
You can donate by clicking the "DONATE" button in the upper right of this site.


Enjoy and comment,
Don

No comments:

Post a Comment