Monday, January 28, 2019

DIY Worksharp Accessories

Accessorizing the WS 3000

I recently bought a Worksharp WS3000. I was thinking about how to build one but the price on Amazon suggested it probably wasn't worth the hassle and my time away from my other projects.

That said, I found the accessories to be pretty expensive and the tool bar attachment is no longer available.

Diamond Lapping Plates

DMT sells a sharpening and honing kit for the WS3000. The kits use a 6" diameter lapping plate. The lapping plate is held onto the glass disk with a sticky back magnetic sheet (like a refrigerator magnet. These are pricey, on amazon for $65 + shipping.

I started to covet this accessory but then found that McCauley had already figured out a replacement using stock Amazon parts.

These parts are on order to try this system out...
3000 grit Diamond coated sheets  (don't waste your money on this)
About $40 total. I will report back after testing this system

I used the above setup to sharpen a plane's blade. All of the disks worked perfectly except the 3000 grit.  It immediately scored the disk and the planes cutting edge.


I have found an alternative 3000 grit lapping plate that albeit more expensive it got better reviews. It is included in the parts kit I created.

I also found that the magnet sheet is not really necessary. Putting the lapping plate on the spindle first and then the glass plate on top works fine.

I ended up using the magnet sheet to hold the lapping plates on the wall near my sharpening station :)!

Lapping Disk Kit

I built this kit of parts for this build. If you use this kit to buy your parts I make some affiliate $ and it costs you nothing.

Worksharp-3000-lapping-upgrade Kit

Other WS3000 Accessories

I also made these accessories:


Additional Disks

Tool Bar Attachment [I will make this if I have trouble sharpening my carving gauges]

If you enjoyed this project/post or my blog consider donating which funds more tool and materials.
You can donate by clicking the "DONATE" button in the upper right of this site.

Enjoy and please comment,
Don

2 comments:

  1. Your link to your kit,co page doesn’t work anymore. I believe it should be: https://kit.co/donkjr/worksharp-3000-lapping-upgrade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like kit.co has a misconfig on their domains. Your link should work. Meanwhile, delete the “www.” from your link and watch the millions roll in. Lol

    ReplyDelete