Thursday, January 17, 2019

Standard Tripod Camera Boom

Shop Made Tripod Camera Boom

Occasionally I capture work in my shop to share on this and other blogs. I like to use my Samsung phones camera because it a good camera and Google Photo's automatically uploads them on wifi so then I can manage and modify them on my PC at a later time.
I also like that I can snap shots by voice "Capture" if my hands are occupied.

POV

Point of View shots are hard to get so I set out to research products and methods to get my readers a better view. From the research I decided to try out a boom that held my phone. After getting some inspiration from others that used microphone booms that adapted to the standard tripod I decided to make a setup like that in the shop.

The Design

An old metal broom handle (I wondered why I was keeping that) held into the tripod by a wooden adapter with a PVC counter weight will allow me to position the phone above my work at differing angles and positions.
Another adapter connects the phone to the end of the boom, safely I hope.

Fabrication

The entire contraption

Boom attachment & adjusting bracket
Counter weigh (PVC pipe full of rocks) in background

The adjustable phone mount

Details of the phone mount
Note the grey foam to the right of the phone.
It serves to keep the phone tight against the shoulder screws on the left. The screws are out of view under the left rubber band.
Acrylic glue was used to affix the sides of the clear mount.

Testing

Now I just have to try it out on some project. If it works well I may buy a more professional setup but for now its just the right price.

If this post is a help or inspiration to you then consider donating! 
Donations help buy new stuff for the shop!
The donation button is on the upper left .....

Enjoy and comment,
Don K

No comments:

Post a Comment