Monday, September 26, 2022

Bandsaw Log Sled

Work Holding Larger Logs on the Bandsaw


Since I own a lathe that can handle huge logs (Stubby) we are often confronted with the challenge of preparing large blanks. This usually dictates the use of a chainsaw and other means of wrestling the wood into a turn-able shape. Preparing large wood for me is the unpleasant part of turning.

While processing the large aspen logs for the lamps [previous posts] I broke a 3/4-3 TPI bandsaw blade. This isn't the first time! So at $30 a pop, I decided to pay more attention to the cause. Note: I did find a blade on Amazon for $16 that I am testing.

I decided that the reason the blade broke is that I was free-hand cross-cutting the ends of logs. Along with being an unsafe method of preparing wood, it is prone to twisting/binding the blade which leads to breakage.

So I proceeded to find a simple and better way to:
-Feed logs for cross-cutting on the bandsaw
-Weld bandsaw blades

Sled Design & Fabrication

After lots of internet research, I settled on a simple sled for the bandsaw that features two moveable horizontal stops with one edge cut at a 45. Most of the sleds I reviewed had a fixed V to hold the log. Logs generally are not the same diameter from one end to the other.

To allow a level of adjustment I milled slots into the sled and anchored the stops with carriage bolts. The stops are adjusted to fit the profile of the log and are then secured with a belt and an old ratcheting snowboard clasp. I knew there was a reason to keep that clasp.

There is a tenon screwed to the bottom of the sled that rides in the miter slot to keep the log square to the blade.

Now a clean straight cut

The miter slot keeps the log straight

Adjustable stops that you can align to the log

nice controlled clean cut

firmly attached and aligned to the miter slot

locked and loaded

Conclusions

Certainly, square log-ends can be achieved by cutting the log square when harvesting but most of the time the pre-cut logs I get from the trash are not cut straight. There are also times when the noise of the chainsaw is objectionable in the neighborhood.
You can also mount the log on the lathe and part away the angle if you can get it mounted straight and get enough bite from the spur center.
The band saw sled is just another option for processing logs.

I will employ a separate post sharing my experience with welding bandsaw blades

Enjoy and please comment;
Don


No comments:

Post a Comment