Thursday, December 10, 2020

Gnome Infestatation

Gnomes Invade the Shop

Gnome Infestation

Source of Inspiration

This video inspired me to make a few cute little gnomes, after all, it is Christmas time.

Hats

The hats were turned from various 2x2 blocks of wood I had on the shelf. The hat is turned with a concave bottom and then center drilled to 1/4" so that it can sit atop the modified egg body.

Body

The bodies started off as wooden eggs. Certainly, you can use any kind of hardwood and turn your own shape. Since I figured these would be popular I aspired to cut down the turning time. The body is really not that visible.

I put the eggs between centers and turned the large end slightly concave so that it would sit flat on the table. I turned the small end down to a 1/4 " tenon.

I fit the hat to the body and using the nose as a position gauge I hand drilled a 1/8 hole in the body to accept the nose's tenon.

You can get these eggs from most hobby stores or from here:  https://amzn.to/2Kekrde





Nose

The nose was the ball end of a small wooden figure which I bought at Michaels. This end of the figure provided an oblong shape that looked like a nose. I turned a 1/8" tenon as I parted off the oval section.


Beard

The beard is White faux fur. You can get it in different colors, white for an old guy and brown for a younger one :). You don't need much!

Assembly

I cut the beard in a triangle shape and then with a punch made a hole where the nose would penetrate the beard. Place the nose hole so that the top edge of the beard will fit up under the concave surface of the hat and the tenon of the nose will fit through the beard and seat in the hole in the body. 

Ideally, you want the hat to hide the beard's upper glue line. You want the nose to fit through the beard and into the body.

I used CA glue and accelerator as needed to attach the beard to the body, the nose to the hole through the beard, and finally the hat to the body.





No comments:

Post a Comment