Sunday, December 16, 2018

Yarn Bowl


Replacing That Ugly Porcelain Yarn Bowl

If you read the "Beauty" post you know that I started to turn a yarn bowl to replace my wife's porcelain one. I was interrupted by a beautiful piece of burl that morphed into the "Beauty".

"Spinning a Yarn".... Bowl

This bowl was turned from a dry piece of ash with wood burned edge treatment and a hand carved hook. 
This is the first time I have turned ash and I found it to be very difficult to rough out but a dream to shape and cut.
This bowl needed very little sanding after shaping with sharp gouges and sheer cutting with my scrapers.
This was a typical bowl turning process with subsequent hand work. Here are some highlights....

A Slap on the Wrist!

Safety is so important when turning. I have been doing this a long time and from time to time you get surprised. When I was struggling roughing this bowl somehow it came off between centers. Yup it ricochet'd off my wrist and flew by me. Had I not been standing to the side I would have been hit in the head!
OUCH!

Cutting the hook with a fret saw


Reversed on my vacuum chuck for bottom finishing

Finished with danish oil 
Dusty the "shop dog"!


Enjoy and comment
Don

No comments:

Post a Comment